Information for Year 11 Parents
Applying to join Southfields Academy Sixth Form
We are currently inviting our Year 11 students to apply to join students to apply to join Year 12 in September 2022. Our aim is to keep parents/carers fully informed about the process and to equip you so that you can support your child with the important choices they are facing.
All of our Year 11 students are encouraged to join our Sixth Form and our retention rate is an impressive 90%. We have an excellent track record with our students achieving outstanding results, with many gaining places at their first choice universities.
We are the second-largest Sixth Form in Wandsworth and, as such, we are able to offer a wider range of academic and vocational subjects than most. Obviously, students can apply elsewhere too, but we try to guarantee a place in our Sixth Form for as many of our Year 11 students as possible. Our experience has shown that students who stay with us settle into Sixth Form life more quickly and do better with their studies. They know the school, the teachers and, importantly for students, their friends are here, although we do have around 100 external students join each year too.
We offer more than 40 different courses at a range of different levels, some of which are only available in the Sixth Form, such as Psychology, Film Studies and Economics. A full list of courses can be found on the Academy website.
Course entry requirements
In order to study A Levels, students need to achieve at least five GCSEs (including Mathematics and English Language) at grade 5 or above. Some A level subjects require students to gain grades 6 or 7 in certain subjects. For example, Mathematics A Level requires students to achieve a grade 7 in Mathematics GCSE.
In order to study Level 3 vocational courses, students need to achieve at least five GCSEs (including Mathematics and English Language) at grade 4 or above.
Level 1 and 2 programmes of study are available to students who have a good attendance and punctuality record and have a positive attitude towards their learning inside and outside the school. Most students who study these subjects will not have achieved a grade 4 in Mathematics and/or English Language.
Dropout rates, careers and destinations
We have incredibly low drop-out rates at Southfields Academy (at around 5%) and these are among the lowest in London. Our students tell us that they feel well-supported throughout their time with us.
We also offer a comprehensive careers programme to support all our learners. Our goal is that all our Sixth Form students go onto a positive destination. Some will get jobs, some will start apprenticeships and some will go to university.
In 2021 more 120 of our Year 13 leavers gained a place at university. The range of courses was remarkable and included: Aerospace Engineering, Architecture, Biomedical Science, Dentistry, Economics, Graphic Design, Journalism, Law, Mathematics, Nursing, Physics, Astrophysics, Product Design, Psychology, Sociology, Civil Engineering, Sports Therapy, Computer Science and Sustainable Energy Engineering. Moreover, 15 students gained places at prestigious Russell Group universities which are recognised as some of the best universities in the world.
Our record speaks for itself, which is why so many of our students choose to stay with us for Sixth Form.
Here's how the application process works:
During November and December:
- A member of the Sixth Form teach will visit every tutor group and students will be able to ask questions about possible course choices and progression routes.
- Students will apply to join the sixth form online. We have set aside some dedicated PSHE time for this, where students will receive help and guidance.
- The deadline for applying is 15th December 2021.
- Note: During the course of Year 11, students often change their minds. This is absolutely fine - course choice changes are allowed at any time during this academic year.
- Over these three months, all Year 11 students who have applied to join the Sixth Form will be interviewed by a senior member of staff. This gives students the chance to discuss their course choices and ask any questions they may have.
- Shortly after this interview, students will be sent offer letters.
- Second interviews will take place on GCSE results day (25th August 2022).
If you have any questions regarding applying to the Sixth Form, please contact your son's/daughter's tutor.